Position type: Full Time
Pay/Salary: $16 - $23/hour
Use semi-automatic welding equipment to weld various components for HECO products. The H4 Welder will produce high quality weldments, requiring welds in length up to 18” in flat and vertical, 12” in horizontal, and 7” in overhead positions; on stainless and carbon steel materials. Production of welds with good aesthetics in various joint configurations is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Receives instructions, prints, and work orders for the job. Plans details of working procedure, tools, and material requirements.
- Joins and fabricates metal by applying appropriate welding techniques.
- Sets up and tack welds parts with or without use of fixtures or jigs.
- Interprets blueprints, specifications, diagrams or schematics to ensure products meet quality standards.
- Performs finishing welds with good aesthetics within joints on various weldments.
- Inspects completed welds to determine structural soundness.
- Keeps equipment clean and orderly.
- Keeps work area clean and organized while following the lean initiatives.
- Completes required PMs on tools and machines used.
- Performs quality checks on work completed.
- Makes repairs or performs rework as required.
- Works as part of a team with other employees.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Essential Skills:
- High School Diploma or GED, required.
- Ability to pass all required AWS welder qualification tests.
- Ability to consistently complete welds of acceptable quality up to 18” in length on stainless and carbon steel materials.
- Ability to produce welds with good aesthetics in all positions and various joint configurations.
- Basic computer skills are required; must be able to use computer systems to look-up information, clock-in/clock-out, and report work activities. Experience with Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook is preferred.
- Ability to read blueprints at a basic level.
- Ability to read a tape measure up to 1/16”.
- Good math skills are required; ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the essential duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand; up to 8 hours in an 8 hour shift. The employee will frequently lift 50 pounds. The employee will push/pull with up to 110 pounds of force. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; sit, stoop, kneel, crouch, walk, or crawl. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee is frequently required to balance, climb ladders, or work on platforms to access elevated equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and vibration, and occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. Employee may be exposed to hazardous chemicals. Employee is required to wear steel toed shoes, gloves, and safety glasses. The noise level in the plant shop environment is moderately loud. In addition to standard PPE, welders are required to wear a welding helmet and may be required to wear leather clothing and ear plugs.